Monday, February 22, 2010

"My Mama always said life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get."

Oh Forest Gump...

Forest Gump is simply one of those movies you can watch over and over and over again...and then still wanna watch it some more. So many lessons can be learned from watching it, and if you are ever in a depressed, unsatisfying mood.. just turn it on... guarantee you, you will feel better.

No matter what Forrest was ever faced with..he pushed through and never let anything get him down..not the fact that his legs weren't "straight"... Jenny running away time and time again... Bubba dyin in Vietnam..his precious mom dying from "the" cancer on a Tuesday..and Jenny dying.

I just love this movie.. the aspect of how much history is involved is so neat to see how they tied it all into Forests life.

I've recently started watching this show called "The Buried Life". It's about 4 guys who three years ago set out on somewhat of a "mission" to complete 100 things they want to do before they die. They spent a couple of years planning it all out... the funding..each working several jobs to save up for an RV and then they were off. Steadily their exposure grew and recently they were given the opportunity to complete #53 on their list.. Have their own TV show. It amazes me that these guys..with little to no money just got sick of living everyday with no real purpose in life. They realized how we are only given one life to live.. with no guarantee of tomorrow.. so they asked a simple question to themselves.. "What do I want to do before I die?". & now here they are.. three years later and have completed a little less than half of the list.. some of the goals are as small as planting a tree... to something as extreme and crazy as attending a party at the playboy mansion. & I haven't even told you the best part... for every task they complete off their list, they meet a stranger and help them with whatever they want to do before they die. They helped one girl "queen" get a plane ticket to Denver, where her mother was buried several years ago after dying from a disease caught from Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans, LA. They have helped a father who hasn't spoken to his son in 18 years finally get the chance to hear his sons voice... and most recently they helped two life long friends travel back to a "man made" water hole they spent countless summers/years making memories with their other friends 50 years ago...and even found the other 2 friends and got them all together to re-visit the place they will always remember.

It makes me wonder..what do I wanna do before I die? I stated in my last blog that I recently started my bucket list. As I sit down and either add something to the list, or go over what I have already written... I can't help but think.. can I really even get one of these things accomplished? Everyone in life should have the opportunity to do everything they have always wanted to do before they die..especially before it's too late. So I urge anyone that reads this to just write down even a couple of things you have always wanted to do.. AND DO IT! :] (If only it was that easy..right..) but seriously..think of practical things. Want to take a dancing class? SIGN UP! Want to go skydiving? GO DO IT! Don't ever hold back, and always remember how important each day we have is. Don't waste it. So who cares if I don't even get to step foot in the Atlanta Braves clubhouse.. or meet John Mayer... I can go volunteer more.. read 50 books a year.. travel! I can't wait to get a little bit older..make more money and do some of these things. For the first time in a pretty long time, I'm excited for my future.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

With love,
Dev


No comments:

Post a Comment